As the days get shorter and the weather turns colder, you may find yourself craving something warm to help the season feel cozier.
Fortunately, indulging in a meal that’s seasonal and filling doesn’t have to mean throwing healthy habits out the window. This tasty vegan pumpkin mac and cheese recipe is a healthy way to help you feel festive this fall.
- 1 can pumpkin purée
- ½ cup KAL Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 16 ounce of rigatoni pasta
- ½ cup unsalted cashews (previously soaked in water for at least two hours)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cooked carrots
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk of your choice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Vegan parmesan cheese (topping - optional)
1. Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. Prior to draining pasta, reserve 2 cups of the cooking water. Set aside.
2. In a high-speed blender, add the cashews, carrots, plant milk, pumpkin purée, nutritional yeast, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, and ground black pepper. Blend until you get a smooth and creamy sauce.
3. Combine pumpkin cashew cream sauce with the pasta. Add little by little the reserved pasta water until desired consistency.
4. Serve immediately, topped with fresh herbs and vegan parmesan cheese (optional). Bon Appétit!
Recipe inspiration by Plays Well With Butter.