Pumpkin patches. Haunted houses. Sweater weather. We’re just going to say it: Halloween might truly be the most wonderful time of the year.
In that spirit, we’re sharing a few of our favorite ways to add life to your “monster mash.” We couldn’t settle on one category, so here’s 3-for-1: A craft for the kids, a cocktail for the grown-ups, and a mocktail for the whole family.
The Craft: Paper Plate Masks
Inspired by The Chirping Moms
Halloween paper plate crafts are easy. The only tools you need are scissors and glue. Supplies cost about as much as penny candies. And children of almost any age can do it in 15 minutes or less! Here’s how to make Halloween masks out of paper plates:
Supplies and tools:
- White paper plate (1 per person)
- Construction paper
- Popsicle stick
- Paint (optional)
- Choose a fave design; easy masks include a ghost, a cat, or a jack-o-lantern.
- Use construction paper (or paint) to color the paper plate—black for a cat, orange for a jack-o-lantern. For a ghost, you can leave it white.
- Cut out two circle eyes at the top of the plate.
- Cut out shapes using construction paper—two black circles and an oval for a ghost; a pink nose, white whiskers and black triangle ears for a cat; triangle eyes and a square-toothed mouth for a jack-o-lantern. Glue to the plate.
- Glue the popsicle stick to the bottom for a handle.
The Cocktail: Spooky Rum Potion
Inspired by A Table Full of Joy
Yo ho and a bottle o’ rum! Or at least a small, spooky swig of it. This rum Halloween cocktail is delicious and bone-chillingly spooky due to its inky color and the smoke from the dry ice.
*NOTE: This recipe is intended for adults ages 21 and older.
Prep Time: 5 min
Servings: 1 Cocktail
- 2 oz rum
- 1 Sprite Mini Can (7.5 oz)
- 3 oz cranberry juice
- Black Food Gel
- Dry Ice*
- Sugar Sprinkles
- Dab the rim of your glass with Sprite.
- Dip the rim of the glass into sprinkles.
- Combine rum, cranberry juice, Sprite, and a little black food gel in the cup. Stir.
- Using tongs place a small piece of dry ice in the glass.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Dry ice can burn you. Use tongs to place dry ice in your drink. Wait until the dry ice has completely dissolved before you drink your cocktail.
The Mocktail: Autumn Berry Mocktail
Inspired by Food Network
You’ll love how this quick recipe fills your home with the sweet aroma of autumn’s harvest. In-season berries are used to produce a full-bodied base and garnish the finished product alongside other cocktail staples. And our low-glycemic stevia extract keeps this a treat for the whole family!
Prep Time: 10 min
Servings: 1 mocktail
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup KAL Sure Stevia™ Extract
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 4 cups lemon-lime soda
- Stir the berries, KAL Sure Stevia, water and lime juice into a small pot.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring and gently smashing the berries.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the syrup through a fine strainer or cheesecloth, pressing the berries to get as much juice out as possible.
- When ready to serve, fill a glass with ice and add 2-4 tablespoons of the berry syrup.
- Top off with chilled soda and fresh berries.
*NOTE: For added health benefits, stir in a scoop of one of KAL’s delicious Magnesium ActivMix powders. Each made with distinct flavors, our range of magnesium powders help offer support for mind, mood and body to help you withstand the stress of the busy holiday season.
Whether you’re spending the evening with family—or having fun at a soirée without the kids—we wish you a safe and fun Halloween! As always, for tips on nutrition, mind & body health, and taking care of your family follow us on Facebook @kalvits and Instagram at @kalvitamins!